Never would I have thought that I would be so eager to write about a vegetable! So, why carrots? For starters, they offer a powerful boost to your health and I have many fond memories that include my mom’s homemade carrot-raisin salad. Please note that she was making this salad a long time before Chick-fil-A and the best part…she still makes it and now, so do I. But don’t head to the kitchen too quick and miss the 10 health benefits that one daily carrot can offer.Jump to Recipe
Let me backtrack a little. Over the past year, I have been experiencing a lot of change. With change comes stress and unfortunately, I have learned that stress causes damage to our body and mind that we often overlook or blame on something that is easier to identify. Through my search to heal and fortify myself, I came across a nutritionist that is so easy to follow because she understands how hormones and nutrition are connected. Her name is Margaret Powell – do yourself a favor and follow her. I promise you will learn something you can use today!
I have learned from Margaret that one a day can help with digestive issues, PMS, and estrogen dominance (and much more). She recommends eating one organic raw carrot a day as a snack. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar, a sprinkle of salt, and coconut oil for added gut health.
10 Health Benefits From Just ONE Carrot:
- Improves the ratio of progesterone to estrogen and cortisolhttps://margaretpowell.com/2020/12/17/how-raw-carrot-helps-with-estrogen-dominance/.
- Offers anti-estrogen properties
- Protective properties to the bowel (due to fiber)
- Weight-loss friendly food
- Beta-carotene helps prevent age-related eye disease
- Vitamin A boosts your immune system (and so much more)
- Improves heart health (eat those orange, yellow, and red veggies daily)
- Skin health improves because of carotenoids. offers retinol, biotin & lycopene
- Fights inflammation-contains an antioxidant called luteolin
- Brain health is boosted- memory and prevention of cognitive decline
Mom’s Family-Favorite Recipe
As for my mom’s delicious carrot raisin salad, I have a new appreciation for it and have made it twice in the past week. The original recipe uses mayonnaise but I have been playing with the ingredients to create a healthier option. So, I will continue to eat a raw carrot each day but from time to time I will add some nostalgia and enjoy this family-favorite recipe. I hope you find good health and give the carrot a second chance.
Carrot Raisin Salad
- 1 Medium mixing bowl
- 1 Vegetable Grater I prefer a large grate
- 8-10 medium carrots (organic, peeled, grated)
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise (can omit and just use yogurt)
- 1/2 cup Raisins (regular or golden- your choice)
- 1 can Pineapple tidbits Organic if possible (save the juice to mix with yogurt)
- 1 splash Apple Cider Vinegar (optional- adds to gut health)
- Wash, peel and grate each carrot into a medium bowl
- Add raisins and pineapple (without juice) to the carrots
- Mix yogurt and mayonnaise together, whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice
- Add a splash of vinegar (optional)
- Pour the yogurt/mayonnaise mixture over the carrot mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least an hour (over night is best)
- Enjoy as a side dish or snack