There are a lot of meals that could become new meals with just a simple tweak. That is where pickled red onions come in! This will quickly become a “must have” in your condiment section. I am sharing my quick and easy process and once you taste them, I bet you will crave these on more foods than you can imagine.
Think of these more like pickles.
To me, pickled red onions are more like pickles so if you aren’t big on onions, go ahead and give these a try. You might be surprised at the level of flavor they bring.
Discovering the Pickled Red Onion
I first made these to put on top of a Greek Gyro. It is quick and easy to slice, add a vinegar mixture and store in a Mason jar. They were so delicious that I took them along on our trip to Texas with friends. We all discovered how versatile these are and ate them at almost every meal while we traveled. In fact, we even ate them straight out of the jar on our tailgate charcuterie board. You simply must try them!!
Pickled Red Onions…endless possibilities
Pickled Onions Go On Everything!
When I mention pickled red onions, many people immediately think about hamburgers. While that is delicious, don’t limit them to just a hamburger topping! I add these to so many recipes and often grab them to jazz up a simple sandwich. Here are just a few foods I have dressed up:
- Salads of all kinds
- Asian bowls
- Greek pitas
- Mediterranean bowls
- Charcuterie Boards
Easy Pickled Red Onions
- Glass quart jar with lid
- 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water Spring or Filtered, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt Kosher is best
- 1 Red Onion Sliced
- Slice the onion and place in a glass jar. I like to use Mason jars so that I can easily find a new lid that fits tightly.
- Stir the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt together. Keep stirring until all of the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the onions and place the lid on the jar.
- Allow the onions to rest for about an hour before serving. If time allows, they do taste better after marinating for about 8 hours.
- Use on top of salads, pasta, sandwiches, or pizza. Refrigerate unused portion. For best flavor, these should be eaten within 10-14 days.